the Long Tail

Adventures in the Low End of the Demand Curve

Friday, October 29, 2004

They Might Be Giants - Flood



In many ways, had this album never been made, this page would probably not exist. I'll leave to you to decide if that would be a good or a bad thing. This album introduced me to the joy that could be had by veering just a little bit off of the mainstream.

It was a simpler time, back in 1991, when I discovered two songs that still rank today near the top of my all-time favorite list; "Istanbul, not Constantinople," and "Particle Man." It was a Friday morning that started just like any other, but Tiny Toon Adventures did something a little different, and presented a show full of music videos starring the Tiny Toons. The first two changed my life forever, or at least the parts of it that were set to music.

If you're familiar with the Giants, you already know that they're like nobody else out there. If you've never heard of them, that's all you need to know. Let them take you on a musical journey to see what you've been missing, what music can really be. Equal parts charm, quirk, and a helping of thought make this an album you don't just listen to, but an album you experience.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:45 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    Oh wow... this is such an amazing album. I often find myself humming "Dead" under my breath. Those were the days,too. My mom would yell at me for the long distance bill because I would call Dial-A-song every day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home